St Ali's - Review - South Melbourne

St Ali's in South Melbourne (12-18 Yarra Pl, South Melbourne VIC 3205) is one of those places whose reputation precedes it.  It's on so many best cafe's of Melbourne lists that you can't help but want to go.




I have been a few times now and too be honest I am a bit underwhelmed.  Its certainly pumping and the studenty crowd seem to love it.  I am trying to figure out just why its so popular but maybe its a case of its coolness making it cool.  Who knows?

Korean scrambled eggs
The Kimchi scrambled eggs with clam,smoked salmon, salmon roe and toast is one of those original dishes I was talking about.  It may sound nice enough on the menu but I would say it doesn't really work collectively.  I chose it so I don't blame St Ali's.  Its more a case of pay attention to detail to ensure you'll actually choose something you like.
Virgin Mary
The dish below is a bit of a monster.  Only order if you have an appetite.  When I look at it I am wondering if they could have spruced up its look somehow to make it look more impressive.  It comes off looking like something you could have made up at home in a rush.  It tasted nice enough but certainly is not special.

One thing I do like at St Ali's are there condiments.  This may seem to be a strange thing to say but in this era of homogenisation whenever if get something different it stands out.  The salt happens to come from the Pink Lakes in Maleee, Victoria.  A place I want to visit so its gets a few browny points from me.


One thing St Ali's does have going for it is an original menu, both in what's offered and the naming convention.  While this doesn't make up for the food it does add to the vibe of the place.


You can see that St Ali's has that modern warehouse kind of setup.  This is kind of cool but only because it's not everywhere.  Too be honest I am beginning to tire with this look but it does suit St Ali's as it kind of fits their mold, they do sell cups and saucers and other items after all.


There are elements I do like about St Ali's however maybe its a case of my expectations being too high.  I just do not get the reason behind its popularity.  I should add that I think its on the pricier side as far as cafe's go.  Its worth a visit just so you can decide for yourself about St Ali's but in general terms I'd say it was underwhelming.


St Ali's
Rating - 4
Would I go again - Yes (Overrated but still worth going)
Would I recommend to a friend - No

Telephone: 03 9686 2990
Address: 12-18 Yarra Place, South Melbourne VIC 3205
Reviewed By: Howie Be

Post a Comment

0 Comments