Papa Goose - Review - Melbourne, CBD

Papa Goose is an attractive, stylish and modern restaurant in the city (91/93 Flinders Ln, Melbourne VIC 3000).  It looks better than these photographs so don't be put off.   What I mean is that it looks a bit dark and dreary in the pictures but reality is otherwise and it Papa Goose looks great whenever you walk past. 




Believe it or not this place is likely to get busy so despite the apparent lack of customers you might be fighting for a table
As befits my writing style or lack thereof I am not going to commit to too many words in todays blog.  truth be told its because I am writing a lot of this from my memory and it would be unjust to say too much.
Believe it or not the pumpkin soup was complimentary with the bread.  Already off to a fantastic start assuming you like pumpkin soup.  I know it is kind of boring but this was nice and I liked its presentation.

Pumpkin soup image
Pumpkin soup
Is pea flavour of the month these days?  I know growing up you basically had two kinds.  The fresh delicious peas you get at Christmas time to go with the family turkey and then the polar opposite, frozen peas that taste like a different vegetable altogether. 


Anyway, the quick fried calamari was delicious and the accompanying pea salad devine.  A great taste combination and also great colour on the plate.
In this modern age, Papa Goose conforms to the current trend in designer delivered food.  The corned beef with micro herbs, a bit of flower and everything else on the plate is a visual treasure.  I wouldn't want my food looking like this everywhere I went but I do enjoy and treasure it as long as the food tastes as good as it looks.  Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed the corned beef (despite its name!).
Designer corned beef image
Designer corned beef
I think I must be in a spell of having too much rabbit or conversely my brain keeps wanting something other than the pork belly, duck confit, steak, chicken with prosciutto, Tasmania salmon or the other common standards you get everywhere. As befitting what has gone before the rabbit is immaculately presented and tastes excellent.  As per my usual warning though I would not recommend if you don't like rabbit.
A bit of rabbit image
A bit of rabbit
The kingfish is suitably excellent and the cauliflower cheese (while a throwback to the past) is equally as nice.
Kingfish image
Kingfish
A classic and forgotten classic and I don't even really like cauliflower.
Cauliflower cheese
Cauliflower cheese
Papa Goose
Rating - 4
Would I go again - Yes
Would I recommend to a friend - Yes

Telephone: (03) 9077 8117
Address: 91 Flinders Lane, Melbourne VIC 3000
Reviewed By: Howie Be


Post a Comment

0 Comments