The Seamstress - Review - Lonsdale St, CBD

The Seamstress (113 Lonsdale St, Melbournce, VIC 3000) is in a nice central location and is a compact, and attractively differently designed restaurant.  It has a bar on the first floor and the restaurant on the second.  Truth be told, the bar is probably more attractive and enticing than the restaurant.  Definitely worth coming here just for a drink.

The John Dory fillet with taro chips and brussel sprouts is nicely presented.  I like the original mix of ingredients and they pan fry the Dory to perfection.


John Dory fillet with taro chips and brussel sprouts
John Dory fillet with taro chips and brussel sprouts
I am a big fan of carpaccio.  I can't get enough of it.  I could have carpaccio at every restaurant I go to.  The 'Seamstress' version is left a bit wanting.  The presentation can probably be regarded as original but in a bad way.  Circles of meat with a clump of noodles just doesn't do it for me.  Its tastes okay but is not special.
Beef Carpaccio
Beef Carpaccio
The Seamstress is a moderately priced restaurant and this is where they may becoming unstuck.  The ideas , menu design and thought are top notch but I believe they are being let down by the quality of ingredients.  May be if they could increase their prices and substitute with higher quality meats and produce the dishes would really shine.  
Beef carpaccio
The Seamstress
Rating - 4
Would I go again - Not immediately but I am willing to give then another try
Would I recommend to a friend - No

Telephone: (03) 9663 6363
Address: 113 Lonsdale Street, Melbourne VIC 3000
Reviewed By: Howie Be

Post a Comment

0 Comments