Woodspoon - Review - Collingwood

Wood Spoon Kitchen (88 Smith St, Collingwood 3066) is a Japanese themed restaurant on the ubiquitous Smith Street.  It's also one of my favourite places in all of Melbourne.  I love checking out record stores but I digress.
Wood Spoon Kitchen is pretty compact
Wood Spoon Kitchen is pretty compact
Miso soup is pretty hard to make stand out from the crowd.  In any case, the soup is pretty good and I have nothing to complain about.

Wood Spoon Kitchen's miso soup
Wood Spoon Kitchen's miso soup
The beef tataki is similarly nice.  A few years ago this might have seemed special but now days not so much. Anyway, I do like beef tataki and as long as it's not too salty I'm happy.  I am pleased to report, all is good at Wood Spoon Kitchen.


Wood Spoon Kitchen beef tataki
One of the things I love at Japanese restaurants are the Katsuobushi (Dried Bonito Flakes). They just float above the dish, taste great and look great as well.  For whatever reason, they only seem to belong in Japanese cuisine as well.  If you've never had them before they are definitely worth seeking out.


The food at Wood Spoon Kitchen is generally all good.  They could do away with some of the sauce that kind of gets used decoratively on the plate.  It gets to be a bit much and after a while it feels a bit lazy as a form of decoration.  It tastes okay though.


What's not too like about scallops.  Well these were certainly good but not fantastic.  I love seafood but given the moderate pricing they are more than good.  You cannot expect something for nothing.  Anyway, a highlight of the evening.  It does help that the presentation does make them look enticing.

Wood Spoon Kitchen scallops
Wood Spoon Kitchen scallops
Tonkatsu (deep fried pork) is one of my favourite Japanese dishes.  Certainly not healthy but a favourite all the same.  Anyhow pretty good but again, please do away with some of the sauce.

Wood Spoon Kitchen Tonkatsu (deep fried pork)
Wood Spoon Kitchen Tonkatsu (deep fried pork)
Stay up to date by Liking Me at:
and catch all my photo's on Instagram at:


Wood Spoon Kitchen 
Wood Spoon Kitchen is a nice restaurant on Smith St.  It's a bit compact, slightly trendy and the food is generally pretty good.  Better than average but not exceptional either. It will fill the gap so to speak.

Rating: 3.5 
Would I go again - No
Would I recommend to  a friend - No

Telephone: (03) 9416 0588
Address:
88 Smith St, Collingwood 3066
Reviewed by: 

Post a Comment

0 Comments