Ovan's - Review - Footscray

Ovan's in Footscray is a small, modern, open, trendily styled Vietnamese restaurant.  While a Vietnamese restaurant in Footscray certainly isn't new or innovative, Ovan's manages to stand out from the crowd.

menu



Ovan's marketing puts forward the current food trend of "Street Food".  Well, in Australia, most Street Food isn't at the Street Food prices you'd find in most Asian cities, I am fine with the concept.  Truth be told, Footscray is probably one of the suburbs you are going to get as close to a St food experience around Melbourne other than at a festival.

interior

Ovan's is styled in a modern way that certainly stands out from most of the Vietnamese restaurants in Footscray.  It is tiny though, so I can imagine it tough getting into Ovan's during lunch.  In fact, it is pretty much a perfect lunchtime place.  I'd certainly be coming back here if I worked in the area.

interior

The Cha Ca La Vong is one of my favourite Vietnamese dishes.  It isn't so common in Vietnamese restaurants in Melbourne so I recommend seeking it out if you want something a bit different from the standard fare.  Cha ca la vong in a nutshell is fish pan-fried with turmeric and dill.  Anyway, while I'm no expert this was certainly very nice.  It isn't a super large serving but quality trumps quantity in my book so I was still happy.

cha ca la vong
Cha Ca La Vong
This Vietnamese chicken styled noodle probably isn't so unique.  It's nice enough but not standout.  However, it's really up to you order what you think you'd like.  From my one experience here at Ovan's, I'm pretty confident if you order food that suits your tastebuds that they won't disappoint.

noodles

I should add that in general terms, Ovan's do make an effort on presenting their food in the best light.  It just adds to an overall positive experience.  Please note though, that for the person used to the relatively giant servings that you get at other Vietnamese restaurants in Footscray that you might be slightly disappointed.  Buyer be aware really though as in all other respects the food is very good.



Never miss a review by Liking Me at:

 or catch my photo's on Instagram at:
In a nutshell
Worth a visit for a distinctive Vietnamese restaurant that stands out from the crowd both food and decor wise.  Service was also very good when we were there.  Happy to recommend but if you are the type of person who likes larger servings then Ovan's probably isn't the best choice for you in Footscray.  

I would be more than happy to visit Ovan's again.

Ovan's

Ovan's
Food Type: Vietnamese
Telephone: 0466 483 397
Address: 151 Hopkins Street, Footscray Melbourne, VIC

Rating: 4 stars
Would I go again: Yes
Would I recommend to a friend: Yes
Reviewed By:

Post a Comment

0 Comments