Miyake - Review - 3 Southgate Ave, Southbank

Miyake makes a stunning initial appearance.  If presentation meant more than the food you'd probably never leave the place.  Miyake (3 Southgate Ave, SouthbankVIC 3006) is immaculate decorated with a nice faux bass relief sculpture taking pride of place on one wall.

The effort placed on presentation is mirrored in the presentation of the food as well so it all makes for a very nice dining experience.  Looks however while important are not everything. 


Maybe it is unplaced expectation after the stunning visual extravagance enjoyed before the food arrives.  Its just that the food while perfectly fine just doesn't reach the heights you want and expect it too reach.
In general terms Miyake has got a lot going for it, a divine location on Southbank, its stunning visual appearance and food that looks immaculate.
Sashimi
However, all said and done I was left wanting more.  I really wanted something to excite the taste buds over and above other Japanese restaurants.  Something that really excited me and left me begging for more. 
Sashimi
Maybe my expectations were just too high.  Unfortunately, I am hard pressed to recommend Miyake. I am probably being a bit harsh because if Miyake looked more like an average restaurant in Chinatown i'd probably rave about the place. 
Gyoza image
Gyoza
As can be expected the gyoza looks great although if I was being picky maybe the pan/deep frying is a bit underdone.
Miso soup image
Miso soup
Miyake
Rating - 3
Would I go again - No
Would I recommend to a friend - No

Telephone: (03) 9699 9201
Address: 3 Southgate Ave, Southbank
Reviewed By: Howie Be



Post a Comment

0 Comments