iSpicy - Review - Richmond

Richmond is well known as a mecca for Vietnamese food. No complaints there as Vietnamese just happens to be one of my favourites.  It also happens to be home to one of the Daiso shops in Melbourne.  So when you next pay a visit to Daiso I recommend you try out iSpicy authentic Thai restaurant for something slightly different.


exterior

iSpicy is curious being in a Vietnamese restaurant district and for something a bit spicier than your usual I recommend giving them a chance.  I am more than happy to report that the food is very good.  It will definitely be first of mind the next time I'm in Richmond but as there are just so many restaurants I do like trying something new.


inside

Anyway, the three flavours fish, fried fish with spicy, sweet and sour flavouring is definitely worth trying.  Its pretty much as advertised so it isn't really that exotic.  Its good, satisfying and cooked to a very high standard.  It may sound funny that I am writing about the cooking process but as many people probably know, battered fish that isn't cooked at high enough temperature or is not drained well is frankly undeserving of being served in a restaurant.  Anyway, iSpicy passes my particular requirements easily.


fish
Three flavours fish
The marinated minced chicken, stuffed in calamari grilled served with ispicy lemon sauce is enticing but slightly disappointing.  The idea of charcoal grilled calamari is a good thing.  Its tender, grilled pretty much perfectly and firm.  It just doesn't quite have the firmness or flavour of calamari you get straight from the market.  This is kind of standard for restaurant calamari.  The chicken filling however is great and the dish as a whole tastes very good with the accompanying lemon (but really sweet chilli sauce).


squid
Char-grilled calamari with stuffed chicken


Finally the Thai fried banana is a nice take on the classic banana fritter.  The little seeds that speckle the batter don't really change the flavour but the banana fritter looks great, tastes pretty much as expected and is nice and crisp.

fritter
Thai banana fritter
It may sound funny that although the written review doesn't make it sound that great that I am actually looking forward to the next time I go to iSpicy.  The dishes all looked and tasted great so collectively I left a happy customer.

iSpicy

iSpicy
Food Type: Thai
Telephone: 03 9429 4559
Address: 80 Victoria St  Richmond, VIC 3121

Rating: 4 stars
Would I go again: Yes
Would I recommend to a friend: Yes
Reviewed By:

Post a Comment

0 Comments