Mughal Indian - Review - Fitzroy

Every now and then most of us crave having some Indian food. Now I am not a great fan as I always think of Indian food as being quite oily. Never the less Indian food is tasty and you always get the feeling those pre-made Indian sauces at the supermarket isn't doing me any favours.


So today while in Fitzroy I tried a small Indian restaurant on Johnson St, the Mughal Indian. It looks enticing when wandering past and the seating arrangement is surprising. I do not want to give their surprise but looks can be deceiving.


Anyway, on the menu today is lamb biryani, guan fish curry with two desserts, gulab jumun and Qubani-ka-Meetha. Lamb biryani is kind of favourite standard of mine. The lamb biryani is really kind of a lamb chop chopped up, ie, it has bones with the usual lots of rice and not that much flavouring. It is very well presented but alas I didn't appreciate it being more bone than lamb and it didn't seem to have all the usual ingredients I'd expect. I am going to be a bit harsh and rate it below average. Its different and maybe I just can't appreciate this version. If you do go and try this out yourself I would like your personal feedback.

Lamb Biryani image
Lamb Biryani
The guan fish curry is better. Again, the amount of fish is a bit sparing but it tastes nice enough. Its perhaps a bit mild so if you like hot or spicy maybe ask them to make it a bit hotter for you. 


The desserts are a bit different from the usual so its tempting to try a few. The gulab juman is dumplings fried until lightly brown with soaked in sugar syrup with full cream milk. Its small and what you'd expect from a dumpling. As a moderately plain dessert its pretty good and it appearance is enticing.


The Qubani-ka-Meetha sounds intriguing for the English speaker and comprises of Indian apricots cooked in sugar syrup and nuts topped of with fresh whipped cream. I preferred this of the two desserts. Its not really exotic, its more a slightly different version of stewed fruit.


Be aware that they do not serve alcohol so if you feel like you are going to be missing something without a glass of wine or a beer stay clear. For all others its a pleasnt place if you happen to be strolling past but not really worth a special visit.


Mughal Indian
Rating - 3.5
Would I come again - Yes.
Would I recommend to a friend - No.

Telephone: (03) 9419 4040
Address: 234 Johnston Street, Fitzroy VIC 3065
Review By: Howie Be

Post a Comment

0 Comments