The Abyssinian - Review - Flemington

Well its marketing speak but really The Abyssinian is in Newmarket but who's keeping tabs. If you are looking for something a bit different and love spicy and tasty food I suggest you try an African restauraunt. There are plenty of options in Footscray and surrounding suburbs like Flemington.


The Abyssinian really stands out in Newmarket as it is one of the few attractive looking restaurants. In typical low-fi fashion most of the other restaurants around here are more utilitarian as far as decor and image are concerned. Anyway, browny points for The Abyssinian on this alone. Interior wise it lives up to the African theme and somehow it comes across as genuine.





I'm no expert on African food but The Abyssinian says its all Ethiopian and Eritrean food. I've had African food before in Footscray so I am used to this style of food. Be prepared to eat with your hands. If this doesn't sound like your cup of tea you are missing out on a treat and some new flavours.



As an appetiser I had the Melanzany which is grilled cubed eggplant seasoned and marinated in garlic olive oil and chillies. You can sort of anticipate what it will taste like and I was slightly disappointed. Even so its still a great dish to try.




Onto the mains. This included the chicken Dorho Zighini. An east African casserole dish of slow cooked chicken in a Berbere sauce and a boiled egg. It is relatively hot so I believe it has some chilli or atleast an African equivalent. I really loved the flavours and the hotness. I love chilli. So if you enjoy chicken casserole and enjoy your food on the hottish side I can definitely recommend this dish.




This was coupled with Kulwha (Tibs). This is strips of lamb sauteed with onion, ghee and spices topped with cubed tomatoes, onions, and green chillies. This was pretty good as well although my preference was the Tibs. I think that's more to do with my taste buds though so I am happy to recommend this as well.




Both mains lay on top of the African injera bread. Its kind of spongy with lots of small little holes and very flat. I know I'm not making it sound good but it goes so well with the mains. Its also very substantial so do not be tempted to order additional injera bread unless you are starving.


Things to do in West Melbourne and Beyond
If you like to get out and about in the weekends, visit our sister sight that offers ideas on things to do in West Melbourne and Beyond.

In A Nutshell
To sum up this is a highly recommended restaurant that I would like to try again. It is recommended that you try the mixed platter of all dishes so next time that'll be what I'm having. Take a visit.


The Abyssinian

The Abyssinian
Food Type: African
Telephone: (03) 9376 8754
Address: 277 Racecourse Rd, Kensington VIC 3031

Rating: 4.5 stars
Would I go again: Yes
Would I recommend to a friend: Yes
Reviewed By:

Post a Comment

0 Comments