Seamstress - Review - Lonsdale St, CBD

The Seamstress (113 Lonsdale Street Melbourne 3000).  The Seamstress if a funny old restaurant.  I want to like it and I am left unconvinced but I still want to give them another try.  They venture on a trendy kind of style and the food pricing is certainly very reasonable and yet they have never hit the ball out of the park so to speak.



Snake bean and golden sweet potato poached won ton with green pea and coriander puree and pea foam is one of those dishes I am talking about.  They certainly try different and innovative ideas even if they do not always seem to come off.  I am not a fan of these "foam" dishes so maybe I should learn to stay clear.

I think this is beef or maybe beef cheek but to be honest I cannot remember.  I do like the appearance of the food but I'd sat this was good but not exceptional.

Ocean trout in tamarind curry rub with pineapple and sambal salsa is probably a bit more traditional as far as modern food goes.  I can't say I am convinced by this although in reality its a pretty standard kind of dish.


Palm sugar and vanilla bean panna cotta with strawberry and mint macerated in balsamic syrup.  All credit for the modern plating up.  I'm not likely to make this at home so I am happy to have a panna cotta.  Is it exceptional?  Not really but it's not bad either.

So despite all I have said above I gather that The Seamstress probably doesn't sound that great.  Well, ironically I still  want to come here again.  I like the place despite the mild disappointments.

Maybe they will score a home run one of these days and I'll be there to enjoy it.  And no, Idon't come from the States.

The Seamstress Rating - 4
Would I go again - Yes but I don't really know why
Would I recommend to a friend - Yes

Telephone: (03) 9663 6363
Address: 113 Lonsdale Street, Melbourne VIC 3000
Reviewed By: Howie Be


Post a Comment

0 Comments