Comme Restaurant - Review - CBD, Melbourne

Comme (7 Alfred Pl  Melbourne VIC 3000) is not an easy place to find.  If you work around here it's probably one of those places that you want to try out.  For the rest of us, we have to go find them.

To be honest it kind of felt like going into a dim dungeon and was a tad underwhelming.  It looks kind of old but not in a stylish way.

The menu however is pretty stylish and the name 'Comme' and marketing certainly make it seem like a place to go and try out.

The smoked salmon with vichyssoise and basil oil is pleasant enough.  I don't know if I would say it sets the world on fire but what does?  I do like the presentation though.



Roasted hazeldene chicken and sauce chasseur is kind of old school as in 1980's sounding.  It may have sounded stylish then but this is the 2010's.  Well in these days of My Kitchen Rules I don't know if this measures up.  I like it and it tastes good but is this finedining.  Anyway, despite what I say it does taste very good and is perfect for the oncoming Winter weather. 

The blue eye cod fillet, ratatouille and sauce verte certainly has a nice ring to it.  I'd certainly order it sight unseen.  But does it deliver?  I'd say yes but if you are a fish lover we can be easy to please.  Really as long as the fish is fresh the restaurant is onto an automatic winner.  

Pistachio cassonade with Valhrona chocolate praline.  Comme certainly know how to come up with an original name.  Everything at Comme just sounds different.  As you can see the topping is nicely toasted almost to the point of burning?  Well, the dessert survives just.


Despite probably sounding a bit underwhelmed Comme is nice.  It probably needs a bit of an interior upgrade but I like the originality of the food and in many ways you could say things are understated.

Comme Restaurant
Rating - 3.5
Would I go again - Yes
Would I recommend to a friend - I'll decide once I go again

Telephone: (03) 9631 4000
Address: 7 Alfred Pl  Melbourne VIC 3000
Reviewed By: Howie Be


Post a Comment

0 Comments