Blossom Thai - Review - Chapel Street

Blossom Thai (278 Toorak Road, South Yarra, VIC 3141) is an unassuming Thai restaurant opposite the Como shopping complex.  As it sits right by a tram stop it can't help but pick up the casual passerby.


Blossom Thai has a nice bright clean interior design albeit probably lacking a bit more of a distinctive Thai character.  However, its always comforting if the place seems kind of elegant so I guess plus marks are in order.  Its not special but it is nice.

Red duck curry
The red duck curry, sliced roast duck simmered in Thai red curry with squash, pineapple and rambutan served in a clay pot is a bit of a hard sell.  The host was praising it so highly it almost can't but help be a let down.  I'll say it was good but perhaps he raised the expectations too high to deliver.  Still its a nice combination dish and not something you'll find everywhere so if you do feel like a red curry I'd recommend you give it a go.
  

When you go to restaurants plain old steamed rice doesn't feel special.  Maybe in Chinatown but its nice to have something different.  Well coconut rice its hardly going to get the pulse racing but its nice all the same.


Coconut rice
I am a sucker for Thai fish cakes.  Maybe its just because I enjoy sweet chilli sauce.  Anyway, I would say its pretty difficult to make them really poorly and equally difficult to make them stand out.  As such I'd say there is nothing spectacular with Blossom Thai's fishcakes.
Thai fish cakes with sweet chilli sauce
Thai fish cakes with sweet chilli sauce
The combination of chilli, sweet basil and garlic stir fried with seasonal vegetables are average.  Maybe I was expecting something that really stood out.  In all honesty it is what it says it is but it somehow feels a bit like a food court dish being served to you.  I believe my expectations are probably too high but I'm being honest here.

All said and done Blossom Thai is a pleasant dining experience with moderate to fair pricing.  While I wouldn't search it out if you happen to be passing by its probably worth a look.


Blossom Thai

Blossom Thai
Food Type: Thai
Telephone: (03) 9397 6270
Address: 278 Toorak Road, South Yarra VIC 3141

Rating: 3 stars
Would I go again: No
Would I recommend to a friend: No
Reviewed By:

Post a Comment

0 Comments