Society - Review - Bourke St, CBD

 'Society' has a nice ring to it doesn't it.  Although there for lunch rather than dinner I can vouch in Society's favour. As a quick aside for a restaurant of its reputation their website could do with a facelift.




Society is centrally located and has a nice unique'ish design and decor.  It definitely has a bit of a sense of style although some might say its a tiny bit underwhelming in the style stakes.  
Affettati tasting plate, cold meats selection
If you are one of those people who love their cured meats, Society does offer a reasonable selection. Its not as hugely extensive as some places but its good all the same and priced very keenly.  In other words its very good value for money.


Classic, timeless bruschetta. Also very good
Now, bruschetta is hardly what you call original.  But then again I was there for lunch and after a while the you do notice that the lunch options are pretty standard across nearly all cafes and restaurants.  The important part is quality and Society delivers in spades. I can categorically say that this is the best bruschetta I've had in Melbourne. the warm Roma tomato, basil and red onion, served on crusty olive and rosemary bread is just superb.


Parpadelle ox cheek ragu
Pappardelle con Guancia di Bue or fresh pasta with an aromatic ox cheek ragu topped with grana Padano cheese is great as well.  Richly flavoured you can't go wrong with this if you love pasta.  Some places leave you thinking I could just whisk this up at home. And while you could you couldn't guarantee it would be as nice as the Society version. I was very happy.

Italian coffee to round out lunch
Anyway, I am certainly looking froward to my next visit to Society.  If its in any way as good as my first visit I could be coming for many years to come.




Society

Society
Food Type: Western
Telephone: 03 9639 2544
Address: 23 Bourke St Melbourne VIC 3000

Rating: 4 stars
Would I go again: Yes
Would I recommend to a friend: Yes
Reviewed By:

Post a Comment

0 Comments