Mexicali Rose - Review - Richmond

I am always looking for something different although recently you will have seen Spanish on the menu and todays its Mexican.  Can I tell the difference - no.  I kind of know what to expect when I order Spanish and I still believe its better brunch or lunch food rather than dinner but I go still the same.
Certainly looks attractive at night

Mexicali Rose basically covers the standard menu options you would expect such as nachos, tachitos, tacos, enchiladas, fajitas, burritos and a range of their own specialty dishes. Its a typically Richmond establishment so don't expect extravagant.  I guess you'd call it nice and the lighting fixture while a bit tacky does look nice from the outside on a cold winter's night.  Anyway, its nice and once its gets busy a reasonably good environment.
Ubiquitous nacho's but a classic

Mexicali combinacion image
Mexicali combinacion
The Mexicali combinacion is as described and includes blue mesa enchilada, empanada, taquito de pollo, mexican rice.  Perfect for a newby or someone who can't decide.  Its all very nice and what you would expect. Mind blowing its not but I was happy with all the food and would have them again.  The empanada roasted ‘salsa’ flour tortilla filled with roast pecans, grilled chicken & sour cream was particularly nice.



Nachos image

What can I say about the volcano nachos. The layered of crisp corn chips, melted cheese & jalapeños, lavared with Mexicali’s homemade extra hot salsa is very good and the option with chicken is very generous.  Servings range from small to regular or large. The medium size is substantial and is probably best for four people.  Its nice but nachos are nachos so maybe next  time I'll be more adventurous.
A small taste of Mexican decor image
A small taste of Mexican decor
 Overall I really enjoyed the atmosphere and semi-coziness of Mexicali Rose.  Its not an outstanding restaurant but for what it is I think it delivers.

Mexicali Rose

Mexicali Rose
Food Type: Mexican
Telephone: (03) 9429 5550
Address: 101-103 Swan Street, Richmond VIC 3121

Rating: 4 stars
Would I go again: Yes
Would I recommend to a friend: Yes
Reviewed By:

Post a Comment

0 Comments